Sunday, December 8, 2013

I Have More Readers in Russia and Europe Than the USA

I've seen a lot of posts about Nelson Mandela. Some condemned Him, others praise Him. Here is the reality of it all. He was a war criminal for reasons that are known. He made decisions and had political views that shaped a country when they needed HIM. No human being is perfect. He was a horrible human being in some aspects of his life, and a magnificent human being in others. This, I feel, can be said of all of us. The difference is that we are not in a position of "power". At least that's what we tell ourselves to sleep better at night. I believe that people should be forgiven their mistakes. I had a man try to kill me. He sold me to other human beings and did unspeakable things to me. I have decided to remember his better points. To take away the lessons of efficiency, how to read people, money management, and stalwart resolve. Things that, if I told you my story, you'd believe never were present in him. You would tell me what a monster he was, what a horrible man, and how much he took from me. Yes, he took much; He also gave much. Not to me of course, but to others. He was in a position of power and it allowed him to use me to get what he needed to keep several hundred people safe. Though I would never wish another person to be used as I was, I am grateful for the safety of those that were saved. I have also been known as a horrible human being. I have people who believe that I have broken the most solemn of trust and would believe that there is no one more evil than myself. These same people are friends, and well known to others who would tell you I'm a nice person who is doing good things for others as best as I can. How am I any different than Nelson? I am both a monster, and a saint. I have inspired some to be better, and I have made and enemy of others. As I work for forgiveness, and the redemption of my past acts I wonder at the "people in power". Are they working out their own salvation and forgiveness in the quiet of their own rooms? Do we have any more right to judge them than we have to judge each other? I struggle to forgive, but I do my best not to assume that there are not others trying to recover their grace. May those who judge me be softened to see my good works. May those who rule over us be forgiven as far as they search for redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment